Thursday, July 21, 2011

Moral of the Story

Trips to Chicago, NYC and Memphis: I have pin pointed a few iconic people that inspire me creatively and I got to be in the presence of them or their energy in the last three weeks...

Alexander McQueen - I not only saw his recent work at the MET but went to one of his boutiques in NYC.  I felt like I stepped into a cross between a high-end retail shop (where there are no cash registers) and The Shire in Lord of the Rings (where there are small bungalows built into the side of a hill and you have to stoop as a human to walk through).  I saw an iconic Alexander McQueen dress cost of $15,000 as well as sale shirts/dresses for $300-$1,000.  I saved up my money and wanted to buy an Alexander McQueen piece of something so I tried on sale shoes and sale shirts/dresses ending up with a pair of shoes with the famous hoof look in the arch (made famous in Platos Atlantis Spring/Summer 2010). 



Art Smith - I am inspired by this artist as well. A jeweler from the 1940's - 1960's, he had a studio/gallery in Greenwich Village open to friends interested in chatting the afternoon away while he worked in his studio.  He is known to be part of the Modern Arts Movement, his pieces being described often as "structural" and "architectural."  His style and/or design both as a studio artist/classic entrepreneur and as a jeweler are my sentiments exactly when it comes to being an artist making it in the world, interacting with those around you and in creating jewelry.  I have studied (as much as I can as there are no books dedicated to him only shows and a few articles here and there) and been inspired by him for 5 years now.  The last day we were in NYC, Jon happened to open a magazine and see that there was an Art Smith neckpiece on display at the Museum of Art and Design as part of the Tiffany & Co. permanent collection.  We had literally one hour before our car was to pick us up to take us to the airport but we made it happen!

And I am so glad we did!

Bono - A fan for 15 years listening to U2 for 20 I didn't want to regret not seeing them play live.  The anticipation was staggering.  Being in the moment captured in the photo below was staggering and thrilling all at the same time.  I stood up the whole show and cried for half of it.  Of course, their shows are always emotional with the artistic way they report on the different groups they assist and on the ONE campaign but seeing them for the first time in person didn't help either! 



Saul Williams - I am pretty sure I saw him waiting for the Staten Island Ferry!  I watched Slam for the first time as a college student.  My creative energy was ignited.  I began researching Slam poetry, trying to find local venues to watch it in person or maybe try my hand at it.  No such luck and I hear that currently it is almost dead in Lincoln, but the journey was worth it!


Slam Poster


Martin Luther King Jr. - I read one of his biographies and not just his also Nelson Mandela's Long Walk to Freedom, Native American activist Russell Means' Where White Men Fear to Tread and The Essential Writings of Mahatma Gandhi.  All inspirational pioneers, dreamers and perserverers.  I was stunned to happen upon (which is exactly what we did) the assassination spot of MLK with a new National Civil Rights Museum attached to it! We spent 4 grueling hours reliving through stories one of the most emotionally intense eras in our nation's history. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!