Sunday, August 9, 2015

Post-Noma experience

It's taken some time but as I am back in the states I am realizing the experience that eating at Noma has given me.  I walk by a tree and wonder hmmm...how could I use those interesting looking leaves in a dish.  Could I eat them?  I wonder what they would taste like?  Then, I develop these taste in my mouth that is a sort of phantom memory taste of some of the plant dishes we experienced at Noma.  I am not craving the dish, in fact I am repulsed by the memory of the taste.  I am then jolted into a contemplative mood of trying to figure out how I truly feel about the experience.   I am not repulsed by the experience neither did I hate any of the dishes as was my fear.  I consumed each one of them, also debunking my fear that I wouldn't be able to "handle" some of the dishes as I knew how experimental Chef Redzepi and his staff are.  Instead I come to the conclusion that my experience at Noma was more of a challenging form of entertainment or amusement much like a theme park would be.  A roller coaster first repulses then excites you.  You don't crave the experience but you look forward to it and then have to come to terms with how it was afterwards.   I remember a ride in Orlando at "Harry Potter land" that did just that.  It whipped me around, jolted me this way and that I felt I needed to see a chiropractor afterwards.  I was shoved into spiders, Dementors and "flew" from great heights spiraling down toward the ground only to be whipped back straight up into the air almost crossing paths with a dragon that I then bolted away from midair.  Why would I want to have that experience?  For the same reason I wanted to have the experience at Noma.  For the fun of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!