Friday, August 19, 2011

Just say the name...

...Niagara-on-the-Lake.  It is the epitome of the way my brain works.  I need to describe something or I cannot remember the word I am looking for or the word just does not exist in my language so I string together a bunch of words as THE word for what I am looking for.  This town is 30 minutes away from Niagara Falls, it is near the Niagara River but it is on a lake instead of the river or the falls.  So, it is near a body of water but not THE body of water that people know as Niagara Falls, instead its "Niagara but on a Lake".  I love this!  My kind of people, those Canadians.

Our hotel Queens Landing a part of the Vintage Hotels which also have Pillar & Post and Prince of Wales.

Our hotel has an evening turn down service. Depending on the hotel your turn down service means the housekeeper gives you extra towels, turns down a corner of your bed linens and most turn down services leave something nice for you to "come home to."  This hotel leaves a fresh rose every night and turns your clock/radio on to the jazz station.  Other's have left chocolates or towels made to look like animals! 

Our turn down service. Picture also soft jazz music playing and soft lighting as you walk into your room after a long day of either work or exercise.

At our hotel, I am not a fan of their in-house restaurant "The Tiara" (French cuisine although everything was bland) but I liked The Cannery at Pillar & Post.  The food was excellent and our server was knowledgable and very friendly.  She was on her way to becoming a Sommelier meaning she could pretty much talk about or describe perfectly any type of alcohol to you.  She also spoke fluent German and Italian and had lived in Europe for 4 years.  It was one of those dining experiences you would rate a 10. 

The Twice Baked Goat Cheese Souffles I had as an appetizer were just enough food without being too much.  They were tasty with the onion chutney on top as well.  I had a small cut of the beef tenderloin which was nothing to "write home about" but was so much better than the Tiara Restaurant's steak I felt like I had a significant meal upgrade.  I stuck with my staple martini or wine at dinner but for dessert tried a Remy King VSOP grape cognac.  Smooth when it went down but like fire in your nose when you first sniffed it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback!